http://www.specialedconnection.com/LrpSecStoryTool/images/sec_splashtop_logo.gifAssists districts in development of partnerships between families and professionals which allow for shared responsibility for improving the education of children and youth who are exceptional and/or have special or unique needs.
It's Parent Survey Season!
FREE, Online Training:
Teaching the Behaviors you Want: Autism Distance Education Parent Training -- This is a fantastic set of modules on behavior management, created by the University of California, Davis. It presents many, many useful strategies that will be effective with all children -- not just children with autism.
Online Training on a Variety of Issues Related to Parenting a Child with Disabilities (en español también): http://factoregon.org/events/online-learning-opportunities
Autism Internet Modules: http://www.autisminternetmodules.org/user_mod.php. You'll need to create an account and sign in to access these free, really relevant modules
Want some help understanding the world of Special Education? Need a dictionary for all of those Special Education terms and acronyms? Access to important updates? Click here, and your FDLRS Center will get you connected to a all of those resources in one easy place, right from your couch! Special Ed Connection HOOK ME UP!!
NEW!!! Parent Website: http://forparents.florida-ese.org/
Comprehensive community resource directory created and maintained through Florida's Agency for Persons with Disabilities:
Head lice? Don't panic!!:
Facing Head Lice: A Guide For Families
Strategies & Advice for Helping Your Child with Learning & Attention Issues: http://www.understood.org/en
Behavior Management/Social-Emotional Development
- Parenting Coach
- Infant-Toddler Social/Emotional Well Being
- Positive Solutions for Families of Young Children with Challenging Behaviors
- Praise Your Children Well
- The Two Biggest Parenting Mistakes
Reading and Math
- A Child Becomes a Reader Booklet - Parent help for kindergarten through 3rd grade
- Big Dreams - Family Booklet about Reading from National Institute for Literacy
- Book List - Recommended for parents and educators on learning disabilities, ADHD and other topics.
- Dad's Play Coaching Your Child to Read - Simple skills from National Institute for Literacy
- Help Your Child Learn to Read - Booklet for parents to help preschool - grade 3
- Help Your 1st Grade Child Learn to Read - Booklet from National Institute for Literacy
- Help Your 2nd & 3rd Grade Child Learn to Read - Booklet from National Institute for Literacy
- La Lectura es lo Primero - Cómo ayudar a su hijo a aprender a leer, National Institute for Literacy
- Tips for helping Your Elementary-aged Child with Math Homework You can do it!!
- Great Technology Infusion Ideas for ESE and Struggling Students This list includes effective resources for math, reading, and most content areas. Universal Design resources are available as well. Click the specific subject and follow the links.
Getting Involved with Your Child's School
- 100 Ways for Parents to be Involved in Schools - PTA Publication
- Different Levels of Parent Involvement (DLOPI) Fact Sheet
- Cadre for Family Members -- Building Collaboration with your child's school & IEP Team
Pre-K / Early Childhood
- Help Your Kindergartner Learn to Read - Booklet from National Institute for Literacy
- Kindergarten: Should I hold my child back? - Research from NAEYC about whether to delay entry into Kindergarten
- Parent Tips for Reading to Your Child - Tips to make storytime a learning time
- Parent Tips for Motivating Young Writers - Ways to encourage your child to write more
- Florida Office of Early Learning -- Information about Voluntary PreK
Accessing Specialized Instructional Services Using VPK Dollars
tttt - -
- Welcome to the World - Overview of Your Growing Child Booklet
- About Our Kids - NYU Child Study Center for awareness of child and adolescent psychiatric disorders and research to advance the prevention, identification, and treatment
- Learn the Signs -- Act Early - Development nad Disability information from the Center for Disease Control
- Central Florida Parent Center - Provides parents of children with disabilities with information, training, assistance, and support
- CHADD Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivy Disorder - Education, advocacy and support
- Do2Learn - Communication cards, print resources and more for children with special needs
- Florida Developmental Disabilities Council - Encourages opportunities for persons with developmental disabilities and families to enhance their quality of life within their communities
- Parent Center Hub- Information on disabilities, IDEA, and No Child Left Behind (as it relates to children with disabilities)
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability/Youth - Source for information about employment and youth with disabilities. Partners include experts in disability, education, employment, and workforce development
Tips for all Subjects: Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies
- The Brain Connection - Fun online games to help build memory and excersize the brain, preschool-grade 2
- Cool Math - An amusement park of math and more
- Fact Monster - Online homework help and more
- Figure This! - Math challenges for families of middle school children
- First School - Preschool activities and crafts, alphabet and theme worksheets and ideas
- Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) - Interventions for struggling readers, grades K-3
- Get Ready to Read! - Resources to help your preschooler get ready to learn to read
- Internet4Classrooms - Sites to help parents help their children. Something for every grade level
- Just Read Families! - Department of Education recommended websites for children ages 2-17
- Kaboose - Math games for kids ages 6 and up
- KidSites.com - Tons of cool, approved website links for science and math
- Math and Science - FL DOE Office of Math and Science website with resources for students and teachers. Includes calendar of events and many links to additional resources.
- Math Cats - Promotes open-ended and playful explorations of important math concepts
- Math is Fun! - Math activities and tips for students
- National Geographic for Kids - Online magazine for students
- Primary Games.com - Free, engaging online games in every content area for Pre-K -4th grade
- Reading is Fundamental (RIF) - Tips and activitiy ideas to help you motivate your kids to read
- Reading Rockets - Offers a wealth of reading strategies, lessons, and activities to "Launch young readers" and teach those who struggle with reading
- Schwab Learning - A parent guide to helping children with learning difficulties
- Starfall.com - Engaging reading activities and decodable text for beginning readers
- Time for Kids - Time Magazine for children: homework help, current events and more
- Varsity Tutors Practice Tests - Look through this HUGE list of subjects for practice tests to improve your child's skills and confidence!
Parenting and Family Life
FDLRS/NEFEC does not advocate for or endorse any commercial products or services connected to these web links.
- Bureau of Family and Community Outreach -Department of Education website that provides resources, training, and technical assistance for parents to support a high quality education for all children.
- By Parents-For Parents - Online parenting resources for parents of teens
- Children's Forum - Private, not-for-profit organization committed to improving the quality, affordability, and availability of child care and early education through programs, services, and publications
- Education World - Parent involvement strategies that work
- The Family Corner - Family fun, craft projects, parenting advice and more
- Family Education - The latest advice, solutions, and information on parenting and enjoying family life
- Family Fun - Great ideas for summer activities, games, arts and crafts, travel ideas, recipes and more
- Family Internet - Tips on how to keep the internet safe for your family
- Florida Father's Network - Involving fathers in the lives of children with disabilities
- LD Online - Assisting you with parenting challenges
- Need Some Parenting "Magic?" - Easy to learn parenting solutions that work using positive discipline
- Parenting - Find help with parenting topics from A-Z
- TACSEI Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention for Young Children - FREE products and resources to help decision-makers, caregivers, and service providers
High School Transition / Adolescence to Adulthood
- FACTS.org - Florida's official online student advising system to help students make informed choices about their education
- FYI Transition - Where will you work? Where will you live? Who will help you? Website principally for parents and students to teach them about transition and employment
- Office of Student Financial Assistance - Florida Department of Education information on financial aid
- Youth Transition Initiative - HSC Foundation assists young people with disabilities and chronic illness in to move from school to adulthood to the world of work
- Transition to Adulthood- Resources from the U.S. Dept. of Education and Office of Special Education Programming for assisting students wtih disabilities and their families in making the transition from student to adult.